Friday 20 March 2009

Computer Games And Real Life

For the last two nights I have played Resident Evil 5 for a few hours. I love co-operative games. I find games become tiresome quickly without having a wing man by your side, shooting the disease ridden folk trying to attack you. It amazes me how quickly you can find yourself completely absorbed by a game from the real world even though you have your friend sitting right next to you, Shouting "top left, you take the one on the right".

The book 'The Beach' has a part in it that sums this up perfectly, better than I could possibly do. Alex Garland, apart from all the money, you have this over me as well. Are you happy? There is a point in the book where Richard has a theory, that, how people react in death in a computer game is how they will react with their death in real life. Some will be fighters till the end, some screamers, and some that simply give up. I am definitely more of a sulky person, with flashes of shouting. It is so weird however, because I never really find myself getting angry in real life, apart from playing games and football. They are my two weaknesses. That is why Achilles was so impressive, he only had one. No wonder he was a mythical God. I bet he could even turn down a free Double Decker. Achilles, you are a bloody legend.

I find myself living like I am in a computer game. I have only started realising recently. I think most people are like this. Whenever I speak to a smoker they always ask me "what do you think about when you aren't doing anything" because their thought is when can they get their next cigarette. And, for the first time, I finally have a truthful answer. Before my answer was an intelligent "I don't know". Now, I have started setting imaginary tests for myself. As soon as I walk into a room I always look round to see what the quickest way to get to the other door is. Whether it would be best to jump over a desk, or slide under like Indiana Jones.

The thing I think about most though is climbing. I was sitting in the park today and I was just eying up all four sides of the square. Which one would be the hardest to get over, and what part is the easiest of each side as well? I have always been fascinated by jumping and climbing, I find most boys are. If you ask most males under 90 "what is the first thing you look for when walking into a park?" The answer will be "The best climbing tree". It is such a difficult choice to pick out the ultimatum tree. These are my main requirements:-

1) Lowest Branch height. It has to be within reachable distance, but cannot be too low. Where is the challenge in a non-jump start?

2) Location. It can't be over a path. There is nothing worse than someone walking past making snide remarks about breaking the tree. Also, falling onto a path rather than grass is bad.

3) Solidity of tree. It has to have thick branches. This is a must. Too many trees look perfect then two branches up and they are all snapable.

4) Thin on Leaves. Nothing worse than climbing up a tree that has a highly concentrated leaf to branch ratio. Takes all the fun out of it.

5) Quality of Bark. Such an underestimated attribute of a climbing tree. If the bark is too brittle then it is almost impossible to climb quickly. Also you get green hands.

These are my main things that I will take into consideration first when looking for trees. I think they are fairly general requirements to be honest, but good to have documented never the less. I am excited to read this back in 5 years time to see if experience has taught me anything else to look out for. You learn so much about climbing trees when younger, it will be interesting to see whether I slowly change my opinion over time, while I'm moving away from my fast disappearing youth. I am going to the park this weekend and thinking about this has made me so excited. I am hoping to go to Victoria Park both days, I hope the weather holds out for me, otherwise I fear I may cry. Long live the Sun! (not the newspaper)

No comments:

Post a Comment