Wednesday 18 March 2009

St Patrick's Day

It annoys me every year that I succumb to the corporate creation that is 'St Paddy's Day'. The Guinness company must be loving it right now. If you are wondering yes, I am typing this slightly on the drunk side. At least I have the excuse that I am part Irish.

Actually, scrap that. That is still no excuse.

Why the hell do the majority of English people find themselves to be obliged to get drunk on the black stuff. It is just bizarre. Don't get me wrong, I am quite happy to have a pint of Guinness, but I am so annoyed that I did it on a day that you feel you are meant to, not because I wanted to.

I wonder what real Irish people think about seeing drunk English men walking down the street singing, with massive comedy sized Lepricorn hats on. I am sure they must be proud. I was drunk tonight, but they still really did annoy me and so the Irish must be shaking with anger. According to this "sacred" day, the Irish supposedly drink so much Guinness, they probably are just shaking through alcohol rather than anger actually thinking about it.

Anyway, I didn't go out specifically for this Irish event, so I didn't completely fall for it. I went out to see my friend before she goes off to travel for the year, if not longer. I am incredibly jealous of her. She is going out to the east. I have only been to Japan, but gosh darn it, didn't I love it. Tonight there was also someone out that has just ventured into getting a mortgage. If I wanted to pick which life I wanted, I know which one I would choose.

I will probably decide to delete this tomorrow because it is alcohol fueled drivel, but it would be nice if it made some sense in the morning. I like this writing before going to bed palaver that I decided I would put myself through, because now I look so much forward to writing it. At least I know I have done something with my day rather than nothing.

I tried writing the song last night for the musical, it didn't go so well for me. It is so difficult writing a song when it is too late to either sing it out loud, or play an instrument to get a tune. Eventually it may work however. I hope so because it is something I love working towards.

For lunch today I had a double decker, for the first time since I was probably about ten. I was never really that bothered by them when I was younger but today, I have realised I was living an unfulfilled life until 1.30pm on the 17th of march 2009. It was gorgeous. I can't believe I never thought about them until today. There is one thing certain about tomorrow and that is James Purdy is having a Double Decker for his afters at lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment