Sunday 15 March 2009

A Sandwich and Wrestling

I went out last night to see Elbow at Wembley Arena. It was great. Now it is the morning after I had a few too many, now all I crave for is a bacon and Philadelphia sandwich.

When visiting my friend Emily in Norwich it almost became a tradition that every morning after a night out a Bacon and Philadelphia sandwich was what we created (it was a masterpiece, so was definitely created rather than simply made) and then ate with great smiles upon our dehydrated faces.

I wish I could be bothered to do this now. I still have a shop and bakers close so all the ingredients are there. When living by yourself however you can't really be bothered to go out of your way simply for yourself. Eating is such a social occasion. When cooking for myself I never really do more than something with bread or cereal and I still find this a genuine chore. I have also realised that it was mainly Emily that did all the making and I simply did the fetching. I hope this is the only scenario where I come out sounding like someones pet.

I have to write a song today or Lauren will kill me. It is all a bit weird but on Tuesday I will be going to watch 60 people workshop a bizarre song I wrote when drunk and now I have to write another one. I am quite looking forward to it, there is nothing better than writing something you know has the possibility that it will be used or performed. I have never really written a musical before. It is a lot different to writing normal songs or sketches. It is a fun test. I now think much more about the actions that could go with the lyrics rather than just the childish words.

I look forward to this Sunday because I don't have anything more planned than a trip to the supermarket, writing a song and probably catching up on my computer game playing. My phone has run out of battery so the likelihood of someone getting hold of me is Zero. Before mobiles I use to pop over to peoples houses, not knowing if they were in or not. If they weren't I would just carry on to another's until i finally found someone to play wrestling. I was always 'The Thunder and Lightning Kid'. My finisher was 'The SunSet Flip'. Only one person has ever kicked out of this destructive move.

Now however, if you cannot get hold of them on their phone then they are out of bounds. You do not trespass on their day. I don't want to blame it on the technology, or the weatherman, but I wonder if it is the constant 24hr mobile connection that has caused this or whether it is just because we have grown up, we now think other people have more important things to do. All I want is for someone to pop over and ask "Have you got your elbow pads ready". Surely everything can wait for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment